Friday, August 17, 2012

College Choices and Starting my Portfolio

I've recently been checking out some 4 year colleges to go to once I've graduated. Right now I'm between Full Sail University and Ringling College of Art and Design. Both school has its pros and cons, so its been tough figuring out which one is the best to go to. I want to study Computer Animation so I can get more into modeling. I could go for game art but Computer Animation will allow me to have the option of being in both the gaming and entertainment industry.

 So I have two options, I can get my bachelors degree from Full Sail in about 2.5 years, and maybe shorter since my general ed courses will transfer. I know full sail has a pretty good animation program, many of my current teachers went or are currently go there, and from what they tell me, they really push you. I like that, I really like a challenge because it pushes me be much better, and the class schedule is similar to the hours in the real world, so that's a plus. The downside is that the school does cost a lot of money, even with financial aid and scholarships I'll still have to take out a massive amount of loans and it will be forever to pay back. I know many people complain about how the school is a scam and they cost an arm and leg to go there, but honestly that's how all the art schools are. I've checked many other schools and see that they all cost just as much if not more. I believe it is a good school, and seems like i can get so so much from they're courses.

Ringling College is a traditional 4 year college, but its one of the best schools for Computer Animation, the curriculum looks great and many big companies come there every year to hire graduates students. Its a huge opportunity and if i do good enough it will help me get my foot in the door to my career.  One this is that I don't know much about that school so I may need to check out the school more if I plan on spending 4 years there. It seems worth the time and I would get a chance to get as much as I possibly can there.

So to get in Ringling I'll need to apply and submit a portfolio to be there for fall 2013. There's an event called National Portfilio Day where many colleges tour the country and students can show and get a critique on their portfolios before they submitt them. Its a good thing my classes will have us working on our portfilios this semester.

So I'll have an update mid semester and maybe plan a trip down to Florida to check out the schools. So until next time!                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment